- The Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturned Bill Cosby’s sexual-assault conviction Wednesday.
- Victoria Valentino, who accused Cosby of rape, told ABC News her “stomach is lurching.”
- “I am deeply distressed about the injustice of the whole thing,” she said.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Victoria Valentino, who alleges Bill Cosby raped her in the ’60s, responded to the news on Wednesday that the Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturned the 83-year-old’s sexual-assault conviction.
Cosby was serving a three- to 10-year prison sentence for aggravated indecent assault after being convicted in the 2004 sexual-assault case of the Temple University employee Andrea Constand.
More than two years into Cosby’s sentence, he was released from a Pennsylvania state prison after the state’s highest court ruled that an agreement with a previous prosecutor prevented the comedian from being charged.
“I haven’t really had time to process it, except for the fact that my stomach is lurching and I am deeply distressed about the injustice of the whole thing,” Valentino, one of the more than 50 women who have accused Cosby of sexual misconduct, told ABC News.
She went on to call Cosby a “sociopath” and “serial rapist.”
Valentino later spoke about the implications of Cosby’s freedom during an appearance on CNN, declaring her desire to take action against the ruling.
“This is really a sad statement about a women’s value, a women’s worth — what is happening right now,” she said, adding: “We need to do something about this. I just don’t know what. I’m so stunned. My stomach is in knots.”
Andrew Wyatt, a spokesperson for Cosby, said in a statement to Insider his team considered the court’s decision “amazing news.”
“We’re excited and we want to thank the Pennsylvania Supreme Court,” he said.
Valentino previously alleged that Cosby raped her in 1969 after the death of her 6-year-old son, according to CBS News. She was 26 years old at the time.
Other people who have accused Cosby of sexual assault and misconduct also responded to the ruling.
“He is not released because he is innocent,” she tweeted. “He is released because a prosecutor promised him years ago that he would not be brought to justice, without even making a deal for him to do time.”
—Lisa Bloom (@LisaBloom) June 30, 2021
Cosby has denied any wrongdoing and not apologized over the accusations. He said he would serve the 10-year maximum sentence rather than express remorse for his behavior toward Constand, as he did not want to admit to actions that he said he did not commit, USA Today reported in 2019.
In May, he was denied parole after refusing to participate in a therapy program meant for sex offenders, according to The Associated Press.
Accusations against the comedian resurfaced in 2014 after a video of Hannibal Buress telling his audience that Cosby was a “rapist” went viral.
The video led to a renewed interest in a 2005 lawsuit that Constand filed against the “Cosby Show” star, in which she accused him of drugging and sexually molesting her. More than 50 women subsequently came forward with accusations against Cosby after the comedy set blew up online.
Following a reopened criminal investigation into Constand’s allegations, Cosby was found guilty of three counts of aggravated indecent assault in 2018.